So I don’t know about you but there is something about autumn that makes me crave some good ‘ol fashioned popcorn – while relaxing in comfy clothes and watching a movie.
But I cannot get over how toxic some of these microwaveable popcorn bags are with the overloaded fake butter or the copious amounts of salt. Plus think about how long those things sit on the shelf before you buy them! And the worst part is if you do make those – half of the bag is left unpopped!
So of course I have tinkered away to find the best recipe for popcorn at home using only 2 ingredients and my trusty instant pot! It is ready in about the same time as the microwave and I can customize the final product however I want – plain, real butter, salt & pepper, caramel…
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels (yellow, purple…any will do)
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- Select “Sauté” on your Instant Pot
- Wait till the display reads “Hot”
- Add coconut oil and melt completely
- Add kernels and mix in the oil so they are all coated
- Cover your IP with a lid (standard pot or regular lid)
- Make sure your lid is set to vent and NOT seal – you are not building up pressure for this recipe!
- Wait about 3 minutes or until the popping has almost stopped
- Uncover and enjoy!
And nope – you do not taste the coconut oil. And yep – I have tried other oils but coconut has been the best. Why? Because you need a high temperature oil that will not burn -that’s why olive oil or butter wouldn’t work. Avocado and ghee have had some success but nothing like coconut oil.
I also posted a quick video on the Video page if you want to check that out!
So are you going to give this a try? Let me know below or on my IG if you do and how it turns out!